Sunday 27 May 2012

Game On at Moraine Lake

I found out late this week that the overtime shift on Saturday which had been rumored earlier in the week wouldn't happen.  Seeing as I had already shot down all rock climbing plans, I got in touch with Pete and we planned some skiing action.  The Moraine Lake road had just opened up, and we had an itch for Eiffel Peak.

I got into Canmore around 9:30, but didn't get to sleep until 11.  Awake again at 2:30 AM (!) we were at the trailhead and walking by 4:30.  Up to Larch Valley, we ran into Dave Sutherland and partner.  They were getting far radder than us on Mt. Temple.  Serious props to those guys, I'd like to see the line they took sometime.  That's definitely a line for the "hit list".  Anyway, we worked onto the face and switchbacked almost all the way to the top.  We bootpacked the very last session, making it a full on skimo event.  Beautiful views from the top, including the Goodsirs, the Vaux Icefield and of course the Ten Peaks.  Lounged around for a bit, scoped some other rad lines, then ripped the skis off and enjoyed sweet powder down the face.  Awesome conditions, awesome weather, truly a great peak done in good style.
Sunrise on the ridge below Eiffel

Temple

Being a slow-ass deadweight does have photographic benefits.

Valley of the Ten Peaks from Eiffel's summit.

Hungabee

Deltaform with our run in front.  Powder on the last weekend of May!

Waiting for the TGR cameras to get rolling before dropping in.
After swooshing down to the base of the face, we turned towards Wasatch (Wastache?) pass and went around back for some couloir action.  My 3 hours of sleep was starting to show itself, so I only did half the couloir.  It's another nice line that I'd like to try again.  Maybe I should have utilized an energy gel and done it proper?  Everything is 20/20 in hindsight...
Skiing the Eiffel/Pinnacle Couloir

Race ski action

Feeling the vert

Looking back at Eiffel.  Nice line, not steep or overly technical.  Just awesome.
I think that'll be the capstone to my 11/12 ski season.  Overall here are the stats.
Number of Days: 27
Number of Races: 2 (11th overall)
Biggest Vertical: 2000m

Goal is to beat all of those categories next year.  That'll be tough considering that it will be 4th year and crazy, but I'm going to try.  Now onto summer...

2 comments:

  1. not going to cap the season off with a Pyramid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one man! I skied Eiffel peak a couple of times, always wanted to ski that couloir around back, good job skiin both in a day!! If you are ever looking for a ski partner hit me up, my email is mike1980@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete